To be located in the library on 3rd floor of St. Augustine Hall, the exhibition “A Transformative Decade: St. John’s in the 1920s” will highlight some of the pivotal historical developments witnessed at St. John’s during that decade.  While still officially named “St. John’s College,” the institution was well on its way to becoming a large university.  During the 1920s, four new schools were established, three of which are still in existence: School of Law (1925), School of Accounting, Commerce and Finance (1927; now Peter J. Tobin College of Business), School of Pharmacy (1929), and the Borough Hall Division of the College of Arts and Sciences (1927).  A second Brooklyn campus on Schermerhorn Street opened in the fall of 1929 to accommodate these new schools.  Student life also blossomed in the 1920s – new honor societies, student organizations, publications, and traditions appeared.  The exhibition draws from the collections of the University Archives to illustrate a major turning point in the institution’s history. 

The exhibition will be on view from October 26 through November 9, 2009, during regularly scheduled library hours

Save the date: “Meet the Archivist” Blythe E. Roveland-Brenton, Ph.D. on October 27th, 12:00-1:00, 3rd Floor Lobby, St. Augustine Hall

Advertisements